Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Setbacks

You didn't close on that big sales pitch. You didn't get the promotion you were expecting... or the raise. That project you were working so hard on didn't come out the way you expected it to. A job loss. Or how about a major injury, just days before a sporting event?

Setbacks.

How do you deal with the hurdles that are placed in front of you on life's journey?

Do you allow these setbacks to positively or negatively effect you? How do they effect you? And why?

Making mountains out of mole-hills... heard that before? But I think it's true. Often times it's hard to look past the situation and focus in on the big picture. It is possible to look past the situation and look past yourself... when you're able to achieve that task alone - you've already accomplished success.

It's taken me many years to get to the place where I am now. To the place where I accept setbacks for what they are - and realize that there really are times when I can do absolutely nothing about what has happened. I've learned to accept what's happened - learn from what has happened - and then decide from that point on what I will do with it.

Life is always going to throw you a curve-ball, but it's your reaction that determines the outcome... and in fact, it determines the kind of person that you are. Will you quit? Or will you dig deeper and allow a setback to work to your benefit?

Don't give up...keep on keeping on... and you will begin to see the sweetness of perseverance. I believe in you!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I totally agree with you - if you dig in deeper and take the setback as an opportunity to learn and grow, then it can only strengthen you.

Unknown said...

Easier said than done sometimes. Thanks for stopping by!

Starshine said...

I completely agree with both your blogs. They are both things that have been on my heart as of late too. I also am an aspiring writer. Another thing we have in common. How funny is that. Keep up the great work. See you soon.

Anonymous said...

Thanks I definatly needed to read your blog. I was able to get on at my in laws house. :O)
Anita

Fit Mommy said...

Hi, always seen you on twitter- first time to read your blog. Very cool. Just finished a marathon after having 4 weeks off due to injury. Major setback- but still completed the goal. Thanks.

Lover of starbucks as well!

Unknown said...

Anita - glad to see you could hop on for a brief moment. I've missed you! Hang in there!!!

Unknown said...

Hi Rachel! Thanks for the comment...and dropping by. Congratulations on finishing your marathon - that's huge! Look forward to hearing from you more often. Drop by from time to time.